oooo Ducky!

Today I will be writing the blog while on my coffee breaks, so this may not get published until late, the reason being that today is the first dry day that we have had in well over a week and I really need t get some jobs done while I can!!

The week seems to have gone by very slowly and some days all I could do was look out of the window in despair wondering when the heck is all this rain going to stop, and apparently it isn’t, not just yet anyway we just have a respite for a day so I need to make the most of it. During the early part of the week I decided to do some cooking as there was not much I could do outside. I picked an armful of Rhubarb and set about finding a recipe, I settled on a Rhubarb and Custard cake as this sounded delicious, the first thing to do was roast the Rhubarb which I had never done before but the flavour is much more intense and would definitely recommend it, basically you just pop it in the oven with sugar and roast until the juices are sweet. I didn’t have any ready-made custard which the recipe recommends (it is thicker) so I made some from scratch which was delicious also 🙂

Rhubarb & Custard Cake: 180c/fan 160c / gas 4

400g of Rhubarb – roasted

250g butter

150g pot of ready made custard

250g self raising flour

1/2tsp baking powder

4 large eggs

1tsp Vanilla extract

250g caster sugar

Icing sugar to dust

Reserve 3tbls of custard in a bowl for later, beat the rest of the custard with the butter, flour, baking powder, eggs, vanilla and sugar until creamy.

Spoon one third of the mix into a 23cm tin, add some Rhubarb, then dot with another third of mixture and spread it out, top with more Rubarb then spoon over the rest of the mixture, put the rest of the Rhubarb on top of that layer then dot the custard that you kept back over the top. Bake for 40 mins until risen and golden then cover with foil and bake for a further 15-20 mins, dust with icing sugar when cool.

You should end up with something like this ! It was delicious, even Hubby ate it although I told him it was just Rhubarb cake because he does not like custard 😉





Just come in for another coffee break, although its dry today the wind is still fairly strong, I discovered that I had lost a roof panel from the greenhouse and I eventually found it, however I can’t replace it at the moment because the gusts of wind are too strong for me to do it by myself so I will have to wait for reinforcements later. The ground is still pretty waterlogged so still can’t get on the veg patches to do any weeding, roll on some nice dry weather. We decided this weekend that as the long-range forecast is dismal we are going to get a poly tunnel, a 20ft x 10ft will enable us to keep growing no matter what the weather and also extend the growing season at both ends. In future years we will be able to get the crops started early and also keep growing some crops right through the Winter months, including potatoes for Christmas 🙂

The title of today’s blog ‘ oooo Ducky’ is dedicated to the duck that got stuck in the water bucket! You may remember I told you that I had wandered up the back with my in laws one afternoon and she was stuck in a bucket, you would think that as she had done it once she wouldn’t bother again, no, she has no brains! When Hubby came in one night after shutting everything away, he reported that we were a duck missing, he had a look but was unable to find her as it was getting pretty dark. The next morning after I had finished feeding and letting them out I went to look for her or signs that the fox had got her. I went down to one of the bottom paddocks and there she was sat in the horse water bucket, she had been there all night and was clearly weak and cold. I took her in and put her in a box next to the Rayburn to warm up, she was still shivering a while later so I got out the hairdryer and gave her a blast with it. We decided that the warmest place was the bathroom and so I left her in there while I went shopping, meanwhile my eldest daughter returned home from work and got a bit of a shock when she went to the loo 🙂 Eventually she was warm enough and strong enough to go back out with the others, none the worse for her all night antics.





I have a little farming story that I would like to share with you although it’s not mine but my youngest daughters. She is travelling in Australia and has been in Perth for the best part of 4 months. She decided to go to Brisbane along with her friends and get an agricultural job to extend their visa, they flew out there one day and started work the next day, apple picking, unfortunately after 9 straight hours of picking with no breaks they realised that the job was not what it seemed, the money they earnt in the 9 hours was not even going to cover their accommodation. When they went back to their bunks at the end of the first day they decided to leave, they packed their backpacks left under cover of darkness and got the first bus to Melbourne! LOL if you are going to run away, do it in style I say 😉

Hopefully next week I will be able to report that we have at last had some half decent weather, but I wont hold my breath, I may just go Blue!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s